The NAB's History in Brazil
In 1898 the first Baptist church in Brazil’s southernmost state, Rio Grande do Sul, was planted in Porto Alegre. During the next twenty years German Baptists in America sent evangelists and missionaries to reach the Germans who settled in southern Brazil, but pulled out of the region by 1920.
Many years passed before God opened new doors and the NAB was able to send their first missionaries to the field, Dick and Beth Rabenhorst and Herman and Ardath Effa, who set sail to Brazil in 1966.
Other NAB missionaries followed, including one who started a home for abandoned children called Chain of Love and another who teaches at the local seminary.
Today's partnership between the NAB and the Brazilian Baptist Convention is marked by assisting the Brazilian Christians where they are already doing God's work.